Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Trying Something New

Today I decided to try something new. We have a tiny little exercise room here at the apartment complex, so I went in and tried out the reclining bicycle. (I think that is what you call that contraption.) I set it for a cardio workout and managed to keep at my heart rate target for 20 minutes.

I thought I was going to die for about the first 5 minutes, but, of course, I didn't. After I got through the first pain, I found a rhythm that was tolerable. Hopefully, it will get better over time. It certainly got me into a good sweat!

I also bought myself a whiz-bang pedometer that keeps track of steps, miles, and calories burned. It also has a computer program so you can download the data and keep track of your progress. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I recorded 8,190 steps throughout the day -- 3,300 of them in the aerobic range. But, it also told me that I only burned about 332 calories with all that work. Whew! I definitely need to step it up -- so to speak. :-)

I was able to reduce my insulin dosage again today, so all of this is really helping me get healthier. I am shocked at how level my blood sugar numbers are when I exercise after every meal.

Good report card for today:

Morning weight:                     235            I think I am finally off of that plateau!
Total calories:                    1,970            A bit higher than my 1800 goal
Minutes of exercise:               60
Average blood sugar:           107            Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment